Assignment 2: Decision Making or Conflict Management
Due Week 5 and worth 200 points
For this assignment, select one (1) of the following topics that expand on decision making:
- The Leader’s Decision Making Process Is Both an Art and a Science
- Working Through the Data Collection and Time Constraints of the Decision-Making Process
- The Role of Emotions in Decision Making
- Effective Decision Making Strategies for Teams and Team Leaders
OR one (1) of the following topics that expand on conflict management:
- Not All Group Conflict Is Bad, or Good
- The Role of Emotions in Conflict Management
- The Role of Trust in Conflict Management
- Effective Conflict Management Techniques for Teams and Team Leaders
Use the following appropriate EBSCOhost Web databases to research your chosen topic: Academic Search Complete, Business Source Complete, Education Source, Research Starters – Business, Research Starters – Education, and / or ERIC.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Provide an explanation and overview of your selected topic
- Examine the three (3) trends reflected the most in current research findings and prevailing attitudes about your topic.
- Compare and contrast the strengths, weaknesses, advantages, and disadvantages inherent in your subject of choice.
- Predict the future direction of the research and thought on your topic. Include your own informed opinion of what is next for the topic you have explored.
- Include at least three (3) references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook.
Note: You may be more specific about your topic without clearing these kinds of related, more narrowly focused topics with the professor. If in doubt, call or email the professor, or use the “Ask the Professor” section in the Student Center. You may choose a related topic not listed above if you clear it with the professor at least a week before the due date.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply theories of and best practices in leadership, decision making, communications, organizational culture, motivation, management, performance appraisal, and evaluation to various educational environments.
- Analyze theories of and best practices in leadership, decision making, communications, conflict management, organizational culture, motivation, management, performance appraisal, and evaluation.
- Apply the concepts and techniques of educational leadership within the context of case studies in the following areas: student problems, administrative-staff relationships, school-community relations, organizational and role issues, social justice issues, and change issues.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in educational administration and leadership.
- Write clearly and concisely about educational administration and leadership using proper writing mechanics.